Not only are they Leila’s favourite fruit but they make amazing muffins and considering that of ALL fresh fruits, the humble Blueberry has the highest antioxidant capacity. You’d be doing yourself a massive favour by devouring as many as you can get away with before you run out of ways to kid yourself.
For the sake of our skins, I thought I’d share the blueberry muffin recipe I went overboard on last weekend. It’s quick, easy and very, very moreish. Oh yeah, and healthy. Honest.
This recipe makes 6 GIANT (coffee shop style) muffins… because I don’t do things by halves. If you want a great silicone muffin tin, I really recommend these. If you want one of those mini-muffin tins, get. off. my. blog.
250g (2 cups) plain flour
150g (3/4 cup) sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs (beaten)
180ml (3/4 cup) milk
115g (1/2 cup) melted butter
150g (1 cup) blueberries, fresh or frozen
1. Pop your muffin liners in your tin and pre-set your oven to 150 degrees celsius (fan oven).
2. Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl and combine the dry ingredients well.
3. In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk and melted butter.
4. Pour the combined wet ingredients into the combined dry ingredients, stirring only until all flour is combined. Do not over-mix.
5. Add the blueberries, again, stirring just until incorporated.
6. Divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups and bake the muffins for 35 minutes or until golden. Test that they’re done by inserting a toothpick or similar into the center (it should come out clean).
Cheaper than face cream.